Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Keto Essentials: 150 Ketogenic Recipes to Revitalize, Heal, and Shed Weight by Vanessa Spina, Victory Belt Publishing, US $34.95, Pp 384, November 2017, ISBN 978-1628602647

Ketogenic diet gets its name from ketone bodies, which are water-soluble molecules that circulate in the body when fat is broken down. In the absence of carbohydrates or during fasting, the body breaks down stored or consumed fat for energy. In other words, when you limit your carb intake, your body is forced to burn the fat you’re already storing as well as the fat in your food. In Keto Essentials, Vanessa Spina defines keto as a very-low-carbohydrate diet. Vanessa Spina recommends that your total carbohydrate intake not exceed 5 percent of your total food intake, with the other 95 percent coming from fat and protein.”

Vanessa Spina says that, on the spectrum of low-carbohydrate diets, keto is the most carb-restrictive. Atkins and LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) are in the mid-range and the Whole-30 and Paleo diets are the least carb-restrictive. Whole-30 and Paleo diets restrict certain processed foods and refined sugars but allow higher amounts of carbohydrates as well as unrefined sugars, such as beets, sweet potatoes, and fresh and dried fruits. These unrefined sugars are completely restricted from the approach to the diet that Vanessa Spina ascribes to, which is known as the therapeutic approach to keto. For the most part, they contain too much fructose and starch per serving to stay within the keto diet’s maximum of 5 percent carbohydrates.”

Vanessa Spina says that one of the central features that differentiate the ketogenic diet from other low-carb diets is that it moderates protein and features healthy fats as a core staple. It also differs from other low-carb diets because of the presence of ketones. According to Vanessa Spina, there are three main reasons why ketogenic diets are so effective. First, nutritional ketosis — a state of being fueled by ketones — mimics the state of fasting and generates many of the same beneficial effects such as autophagy whereby the body “burns off” old cells, tissues, and even cysts while also burning body fat, increased production of human growth hormone, and restored insulin sensitivity. Second, a keto diet optimizes health by properly nourishing the body with fat and protein, which are essential macronutrients, and limits the intake of carbohydrates, which are not essential. Third, a keto diet generates results via the endocrine theory of weight loss rather than the energy balance theory of weight loss.

Vanessa Spina says that keto will provide an opportunity to enjoy inflammation-free food and health. The good thing about keto diet is that you do not feel as if you are missing something. You eat real food when you eat Keto food. Like her, you can put a cherry on top of your high –fat health sundae. The delicious and scrumptious recipes range from ‘Savory Brie, Mushroom, and Spinach, Crepes with sugar-free glaze’ to ‘Shrimp Fried Rice’ to ‘One-Pan Cod’ to ‘Instant Chia Pudding.’

If you embark on keto lifestyle journey, Keto Essentials should be your first stop. It is frustrating to watch your waistline along with your wallet but there is no reason to despair. If you have not tried keto lifestyle, it is worth giving it a try. It is likely to work if other plans have failed. Some of the diet plans are relatively expensive. However, keto lifestyle will not drain your pocket. It is an amazing way to lose weight. Victory Belt Publishing is known for publishing high-quality cookbooks, particularly keto diet plans.

Facebook Comments

Post a comment